The following policies are to ensure that every student is treated fairly as well as to make lessons fun and successful for student and teacher.
- Lessons will consist of three terms – Fall, Winter, and Spring.
- Each term will be 10 weeks long. Dates will be provided listing the beginning and end of each term.
- Extra lessons are available for any student studying for music exams.
- For new piano students, an initial registration fee of $10 per child must be submitted along with the completed registration form to reserve a time slot.
- The registration fee is non-refundable.
- The cost of one term of study is due at the first lesson.
- Must be submitted with post-dated cheques.
- There will be a $15 NSF fee if a payment/cheque is returned.
- Each term’s fees includes a music binder, student worksheets, use of studio’s materials, rentals for recitals, and any other miscellaneous items.
- Students are encouraged to complete a full year of study.
- One month of notice is required to withdraw from lessons.
- A Children’s Art Tax Credit (CATC) receipt for income tax will be issued in January of each year.
- Make-up lessons will only be given for sickness.
- If a child has stayed home due to sickness, please do not bring them to piano lessons that day.
- If a suitable time cannot be found for a make-up lesson, it will be made up at the end of each session.
- Missed make-up lessons, however, will not be rescheduled and payment will be expected.
- If vacations are scheduled during a given term, the lessons are forfeited and payment will be expected.
- Lessons missed due to any other activity, whether notification is made or not, will not qualify for make-up lessons and payment will be expected.
- If a lesson is cancelled by the teacher and cannot be rescheduled, it will be reimbursed.
- A piano or suitable keyboard is required for students to practice at home.
- All method books can be purchased from the studio at the beginning of the term or when required.
- Each student will receive a binder at the beginning of the year with pages for use throughout the year. Returning students are asked to bring their binder and the necessary sheets will be supplied.
Teacher Expectations for Lessons and Practicing:
- Students are expected to be polite, to listen well, to use good manners and to remain focused during their lessons.
- Students are asked to come to lessons with clean hands and short fingernails.
- Students will be required to practice at least 5 days a week for the time specified by the teacher.
- Parents of all new students are encouraged to attend the lessons for at least the first year. Practicing depends upon parental support and encouragement. Attending lessons will help parents learn how students should practice.
- Parents are asked to initial the Student Practice Record.
- Parents of younger students will need to help read the weekly binder sheets and help guide their children with practicing at home.
- Students not meeting the required practice times will be given 2 weeks to improve on their own.
- If there is no improvement after 2 weeks, a meeting will be scheduled with parents, student, and teacher to deal with the situation.